Tuesday, May 24, 2005

My Day at the Homework Center

By Cheryl N:
"One day last month, before all the rush of the Rummage Sale, I decided that I would help out at the Homework Center. That day, there were four new children. Deb assigned me to a wonderful first grade boy. He had his homework ready for me to help him with. We did some math - really it wasn’t too hard, some English work and reading. Deb helped to evaluate his reading level and we picked out a book from the library. He chose a book about dinosaurs, and besides reading the book, he drew some pictures of his favorite ones.

Later, Deb set up a special folder for the child to bring his homework in each day. We all had a snack and then just talked about school. That day, I helped out for about 2 hours, and then had to go home and fix dinner. I think he felt good about his homework that day, and I know that I felt good about being able to help someone."

P.S. from Rev. Petra: Homework Center volunteers are always needed. Just call Deb at the church office to be a part of this amazing opportunity.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?