Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Orienting Day

Hi all - Today was exhausting and exciting - trying to figure out where to go and what to do - there's an astonishing number of choices to make about which thing to do, and they're all amazing. And every time you turn the corner someone's giving you a flyer to do something else. I've met people from all over the world and all kinds of stories - a conversation with a Dane about the cartoon controversy, with a UCC colleague in Indiana who I just met, with a church musician from Finland who is doing creative ministry with children, and many fun attempts at talking with Brazilians who are a part of the Assembly. I keep trying Spanish, and it still isn't the same as Portuguese.

My first workshop today was about the partnership between the Roman Catholic church and the World Council of Churches, which just celebrated 40 years. It dates back to Vatican II. It was interesting to hear about the ways that things have changed and progress that has been made, but also to discuss how much is left to address. Here's a thought of the day from that workshop - I think if I read my notes right, it's a quote from Cardinal Kaspar, the head of the Ponticifal Council for Christian Unity: our common baptism means that ecumenical efforts aren't just about discussion and pronouncements - instead, it means that ecumenism is an event of the Spirit.

We also had our opening worship service with WONDERFUL singing and gifts brought from each part of the world to the worship tent - which appears to be a circus tent, so I'm hoping one of the services includes acrobats. I'll eventually have pictures to share too. LOTS more to come tomorrow!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?